Wednesday 12 December 2012

Oh Christmas Tree / Lighten Up

Kris please don't read this one. -even though I know you will anyways.

To every one else sorry for the ramble.

So last night riding home from work...

-I should back that up and say last night from the day I started writing this I just about got smoked by a car. I was riding down 144th street here in North, South Surrey (Newton) heading southbound. It's funny I often give this stretch of road some thought.  It is an official bike route, but the intersection with Hyland road is a dangerous spot and I really wish the city would install lights with turn signals.  I've had a few uncomfortable calls going down that hill and thru said intersection over the past year.  In fact it is the only spot on my routes (I change them up for variety) that really makes me question my safety.


A quick description of the problem…  Usually it's drivers northbound on 144 turning left onto Hyland. Southbound bike are approaching this intersection often at some speed, as it is at the bottom of a hill. What happens is that cars are passing you as you descend, and a window in the cars at just the right moment may mean a left turning driver who doesn't see you. Thus I adjust my speed to try to keep this from being a problem.  Staying either right in a group of cars or well behind.

Yesterday's issue was that as I was watching for blind left turners, an idiot in a red 97 Pontiac sunfire coming down Hyland ran the stop sign at 144th. He just missed myself as we'll as a lady with a couple small kids in the walk way by inches. I'm lucky that I already was squeezing the brakes and its amazing I kept the bike wheel side down. When I caught up to him at 64th ave I screamed every swear word I know,  made up a few, and may have made some unfortunate remarks about his relationship with his mother.
 I keep remembering the look on his face as he didn't understand why this cyclist was screaming at him. That said I took down his license plate and reported it when I got home.  By they way, I was told by the officer on the non emerg line that this warranted a 911 call as soon as it happened. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm happy they put a call out on the radio to watch for him. All I was hoping for was a note on his file about this kind of behind the wheel behaviour.  Perhaps it was a bit excessive to call the police, but I've never been quite that mad at a driver.  If I had been in my truck, there is a very good chance the driver of that car would have been dead.  The one thing I am embarrassed by is my choice of language. next time I'll try to remember to use one of the ideas on the chart.  -Sorry for the small print.  google it if you need a copy that is larger.

It is marked as a bike route. While there is not a clearly marked lane for much of it, there is signage. The idea being there is almost enough room for cars and bikes to share the roadway.  The overriding theory on bike routes is to increase concentration of bikes on certain roads so that drivers will come to expect their presence, and perhaps discourage cyclists from using other routes that are less safe.  Unfortunately large trucks also frequent this route and there is not enough room for them and bikes.  But really I'll be passing that onto the powers in charge of such things.  cycling@surrey.ca for those who care. I'll also be taking that section out of my commute. 144th southbound from 6800 to 6600 blocks is IMO dangerous. Northbound while a bit under engineered is not deserving of this same title.

Now to the real point, if I haven't bored you to tears yet.  I had a total 5 lights on my person as well as reflective gear.  A car approaching from the angle of the red Pontiac wouldn't get the reflection off my clothes but if they were even looking the twin 500lumen strobes are pretty hard to miss and are almost over what the motor vehicle act allows on the street.  Serfas True 500model for anyone who cares.  I keep a 50lumen petzel strobe on my helmet too at this time of year.  That one I feel a little less bad about as I look drivers in the eye trying to make sure they see me.  I've had drivers yell at me that my lights are too bright.  I usually call back a thank you.  I would rather be a little to bright than unseen.  One thing I do do is try to have the lights angled at a reasonable angle, and move them up higher in problem areas on the routes.  Its a simple task but I think it's making me a better citizen of the road.  I've got a couple Blackburn Mars 4.0 lights on the rear also set to flash.  As of last year they were the brightest available.  I'm no where near as worried about what is behind me.  But an upgrade to Serfas Thunderbolts will happen as soon as the distributor has more in stock.   Those drivers back there can see me from blocks back.  Its the ones in front of me that are pulling out in front of me or left hooking me that I worry about.  If they are looking up I'm pretty hard to miss.  But you gotta wonder about the car that passes you and then right hooks you.  It's pretty rare, but usually is involving a distraction on their part.

Lastly you can be lit up like a Christmas tree, but if drivers don't stop for a stop sign or approach at an odd angle, or are otherwise distracted -even by other traffic you may not be seen.  Getting to know my routes I can still get surprised like in the case above.  I was watching for the left hook when  I almost got right jabbed.  I hope I didn't scare off anyone thinking of trying winter bike commuting.  Over all I feel comfortable as I ride in the dark.  I just assume drivers don't see me.  It's safer that way.

Okay that wasn't the last thing, on the left or above of you are on a small screen is my buddy's set up for December commuting.  Now that's lit up like a Christmas tree. He says festive is how he rolls.



From another friend:

"Always try to remember cyclists have rights on the roads, but we also have responsibilities that go with them."  I don't ever claim to be better than the average cyclist at this, but I do try.

Listening to I'll be home for Christmas, perhaps I should lighten up.
Till the next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment