Saturday 8 December 2012

The cross dresser

So here it is, pretty much the end of the local cyclocross racing season. A couple friends have been racing in the citizen / masters level for a couple years now. So what's holding me back?

I have a bike that will do the job. Take the fenders off my winter bike, a Nashbar cross frame,  swap the wheels and boom it's ready to hit the dirt. It's reasonably light weight when I put it into that configuration and the gearing should work. The problem really is me. I'm in great shape for a nearly 40 year old, -come June. Then Summer hits and for the past 2 years that meant an injury. 2011 was a groin hernia and 2012 a relatively minor car accident that left me with back spasms. In either case Late September hits and out of shape again, put on 15-20 pounds and lacking motivation.  -By the way, this will be a topic at some point that I will cover in more detail.

Then I go watch a good friend race at Vanier park. Wow I could do that! -with some prep work. My 6 year old son entered his first kids race that day on a whim. He's braver than me.

A couple months pass and I go watch the nationals which were here in Surrey this year.  My perspective is lost. These guys and gals racing are fast! Holy cow I can't do this. Next day go out again, same location, slightly easier course watching and cheering on the folks at my level and a bit above trudge around the circuit. My hopes are restored.

Really the moral here is don't judge what you may or may not be able to do by watching those who do it professionally. Whether it's cyclocross, or the local criterium. There are races at your level. Don't be scared, get out and try it. (Says the guy who hasn't) If you are a coastal member renewing your cycling BC license for 2013, why not spend the extra $10 for the citizen race license? You might just use it.  I should qualify this by saying that I have actually done a couple of long distance mountain bike races, but they were back in the day.  Cheakamus Challenge '94 & '95.  My results were less than specatacular.

So here we are December. I have the bike and all the related gear. So for '13 will I keep standing looking in the mirror, or will I actually take the plunge and go out in public?


I'll let you know what happens...

ps. Little Buddy took 2nd place in his race, in no small part assisted by Daddy's epic cheezie hand-up





Cheers!
Trevor

2 comments:

  1. Take the plunge Trevor! Cyclocross is a blast regardless of your fitness level.

    I did three races last year and only one this year. Very disappointed I couldn't find time to do more.

    I converted my Kona Dew Deluxe commuter to a CX tank just by slapping on some Maxxis Mud Wrestler tires. Toughest part was hauling it over the barriers!

    Andrew
    pickellscycling.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hoping to! Will have to see how the year progresses. The events of the past couple summers really didn't give me the option to try Cross. That said I also didn't have any goals after June.

    ReplyDelete